Records Are Meant To Be Broken

I was lucky enough to witness Paris Bernard tie the record for most points scored in a game with 38 points my freshman year at Rochester Adams High School. The following basketball season in 2000-01, I was blessed enough to break that record and set a new one by scoring 41 points my sophomore year. I was ecstatic, I was happy that I broke that record because prior to the start of high school, my father and I took a tour of the school, got lost and found what we were looking for, the gym! We scanned the gym... took in the aroma, and finally located the wall/banners/signs that athletes secretly get a muse of. The wall with all of the records on it! This was prior to PB's 38-pt game. My father looked at the most points in a game category, and said," you can get 38, you can break that record." He said it with assurance, as if he knew I could do it, but just incase I had any doubts then he'd put the battery in my back. He was just planting a seed, one that would routed me to complete the mission. I did.



December 17, 2013 star player of Rochester Adams, point guard Akhemji Williams broke & set the new record for most points scored in a game with 46 points. I commend him for the accolade, from a basketball aspect I'm upset I missed the game and as the former record holder, I'm glad it was a person whom game I respect, admire and wish nothing but the best of success to. I know the work he put in, we've trained together, so I've seen that hunger and that "sense of mission" in his eyes.

It is very refreshing to conquer a quest, reach a goal and of course break through ceilings and crash through glass doors. Salute to the young homie! Records Are Meant To Be Broken.

AD

Comments